Monday, November 24, 2008

My Confession


I think for me writing this is similar to standing in front of a room of people and saying out loud, “I am an alcoholic.” But, they say the first step is admitting you have a problem, so I am taking the plunge. Here it is, the whole truth “My name is Heather and I am a hopeless romantic.” Wow, that felt really liberating. Most of you know me as Heather the organized or Heather the responsible, but it’s just a cover up because on the inside I am really this whole other person. On my bookshelf you will find stacks of the classics, book on parenting, church non-fiction, books about people making a difference in the world and books on education. I love them all and devour it almost all of the time. Hidden on the top of my shelves however is the Twilight series. Now I am the very first person to say they are insane, that it is not the thing I would want my teenage daughter to read, and that the “Twilight mania is absolutely ridiculous. But, my great friend talked me into going to Cedar on Friday to see it (I really did act reluctant about it and I really kind of was). But, I was like every other swoony teen watching the movie and spent the last two days looking at my adorable husband through the eyes of my 16 year old self. I remember it well since I was looking at him that way when I was my 16 year old self. The same thing happened to me after watching Pride & Prejudice…all of a sudden there was beautiful piano music in my head every time my husband would walk into the room and I found myself thinking, “You have bewitched me body and soul and I love, I love you…” I mean really doesn’t that make you swoon? You can really almost say that with pride though, it’s a classic. But, Twilight? Really this is in fact a movie about a vampire falling in love with a human. The whole, “will he give in and eat her” thing is hovering on the edge of your thoughts the whole time. But, he doesn’t even though he wants to and let’s face it that’s pretty darn romantic! So now it’s out there. Lucky for me it’s easy to stay swoony because I am married to the ultimate and I am absolutely certain he will never give in and suck out all of my blood….

6 comments:

Jess said...

awwwww you might think you hide it but it's written in every post where you talk about Lindon. I've also know you since before the Lindon days (and during), and you've always been a hopeless romantic. That's a great thing about you. BE PROUD! always stay swoony! (I'm the same way)

EE said...

You're so cute. Good for you, admitting it really is the first step. I'm just kidding, stand tall woman, we love you and your romantic notions. EE

Piper said...

Was the movie worth it? I am afraid to watch it because, well, what if it alters my perception. I didn't imagine Edward at all like the portrayal by the silly actor they picked. I imagined him tall (6'6" or more) with blond hair, etc. Also, I agree, I knew you were a hopeless romantic long before this confession. I can't wait to see you guys (maybe even tomorrow!) HURRAY!

Perla said...

i think i knew you were a romantic all along. :) but how did you like the movie? i thought the chemistry between bella and edward was great. i was a little disappointed in some of the characters--i pictured jake a lot different. none of twilight touches me deeply, but it is fun for me.

Tevita and Jodi said...

Thanks again for going with me. I had a great time and can't wait for another girls day out!

Lori said...

Wow, Heather! You about make ME fall in love with your husband the way you write about him! :) I'm glad you're so romantic and I'm sure you and Lyndon are setting a fabulous example for your kids of what a marriage can and should be.