Friday, February 6, 2009

Oh The Places You'll Go



Today I home with the flu. To sick to care about the mess I have mostly been reading and listening to my kids compose a song about our dog. They were totally inspired by listening to "Beethoven's Wig." They take great classical music and compose silly lyrics so the kids love it. And wow are my kids loving it today...anyway. Yesterday Issac and I were reading and he put Dr. Seuss' "Oh The Places You'll Go," in the pile to read (I think he did it for me because it is my favorite). I love different parts at different times, but yesterday one part really jumped out at me. It reads

And when you're in a slump,
you're not in for much fun.
Un-slumping yourself
is not easily done.

I sort of got into a slump for a few weeks and now I am enjoying "un-slumping myself." I love that phrase, usually I am a fan of using real words, but I just think that should be one. Un-slumping yourself includes (for me at least)...exercise, eating right, scripture time, one great big clean of the house, and marinating in good literature. I am reading "A Little Princess" and "Walden, or Life in the Woods." It feels good to be un-slumping, hope none of you are feeling slumped, but if so here's to un-slumping!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE IT!!! I love reading your blog!

Piper said...

Can I quote you, 'cause I love it when you say, "marinating in literature", it might have to go on Quote from Real Life on my blog. Also, do you not absolutely love "Little Princess".

Nichole said...

Hope you feel better soon. I love you when you unslump this involves eating ice cream right? You know we havev a great creamery down the road. You know what road I am talking about the Friant one.

darl_jo said...

ughhh...... nothing fun about being sick, expecially with the flu. Perhaps girls night out will have to be posponed(?). Not fair, but we want you at your best

Scott & Jennifer said...

Hey Beautiful, I've just been catching up on your posts... I nominate you as well, for "a person of courage for not completely losing it while living in a small rental, in the winter with my five sons."
You're the bomb, babe! I can barely get along with myself! ;-)

I sure love you, and all you share with us! You're an amazing woman!!!

Tevita and Jodi said...

I am definitely excited for some unslumping myself! Thank you so much for all you do for me. I love you! I hope you get better soon. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Eva said...

Yes, it's me, I can hear your gasp now. I've been reading your blog since the beginning and I'm finally leaving a comment. I love that book as well, in fact, I just returned it to the library today. We need to get our own copy. It funny how insightful a lot of childrens lit can be. I loved "The Little Princess". I read it with my girls and have fond memories of the discussions it spurred.