Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Running Parable #2


When I decided to run a marathon in my usual full disclosure kind of way I told everyone that I knew. I get so excited about things and I just assume that my enthusiasm is catching and so off I shot my mouth to anyone that would even pretend to listen. Imagine my shock and surprise when people did not react enthusiastically! I got lots of reactions and most of them could be chalked up to, "you are nuts, a total masochist, seriously what is the matter with you?" Completely shocked me! I have learned though that so often the things you feel inspired to do make no sense to the outside world...you are a nut....a complete lunatic, and people feel open to say whatever is on their minds if they think they are saving you from yourself. This has happened on so many things I have wanted to do! Adopt a child from Haiti, home school my children, get rid of TV channels, move out in the middle of nowhere...Well my enthusiasm isn't catching but I am maintaining it anyway! Sometimes you have to just get out there and run whether it seems crazy or not!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you are amazing!!!! I am a full disclosure person myself & completely understand what you mean! :) I can't wait to hear your race recap!! (my first half is in October)

Emily said...

I had no idea you were a runner, but reading your posts, I totally get it. My first, and maybe only, marathon is in 2 1/2 weeks. I caught the bug too and running is a great out and a great way to think things through and get answers. I learned that until people try it they won't get it either. I was just like you...hated running in school, but not now. Next time I'm over that way and need a partner I know who to call. If you ever need someone to go to a race with, I'm the girl. I love the parables. :D Happy running.

Jess said...

I'm always impressed by people who can run. I've never been interested, but haven't really tried it. I think the reason people react to the things you do is because it is something they would never have the courage to try. You are such an amazing person for thinking out of the box and trying new things and not caring about what other people think. oh and good luck on the marathon!

Lisa said...

...you go girl!!! I'm in awe of you!

Nichole said...

Does this post have something to do with our girls trip a few weekends ago? Miss ya wish you would come down to play again!!

Healthy Recipes said...

I get a similar reaction. "Are you crazy?!" and "Why are you doing this?" I don't think they understand the feeling of running with 3,000 other people or crossing the finish line when you have worked so hard for it. Don't worry though. I'm with ya :)